The following guidelines are in place for on ice helpers; the attached chart is provided to assist in ensuring all on ice helpers are compliant with policies and expectations of the insurance program:
1. Any on ice helpers must be a current registered member of BC Hockey / Hockey Canada. If the individual is not currently registered through a BC Hockey Member or as an Associate Member, the Hockey Canada Registry (HCR) needs to be updated to include this person on the roster as a “volunteer” with the team(s).
2. Any helper, 16 years and older must take Respect in Sport. Additionally, the helper must be under the direct supervision of the certified team officials. Concussion Awareness Training Tool is not mandatory for on ice helpers.
3. Non-members offering coaching or other on ice help for a fee are not volunteers, and therefore, must become a BC Hockey Associate Member prior to participation. Any person working in this capacity should not be rostered with a Minor Hockey Association (MHA).
4. MHAs are not to create “Volunteer” teams within the HCR for volunteers or executive members who do not participate in on ice activities with the registered participants.
5. Application form for Criminal Record Check can be obtained at the following link